If you have one of those shiny new Motorola Droid phones, every time something exciting happens (phone runs out of battery, you plug it in to the computer, you get an email etc) the phone says “DROID!”. So in the spirit of that, let me share a picture with you:
This is the tip of the iceberg. We have a quite a bit more to do, I’ll file bugs for these tomorrow, but I want to get this down right now while I’m still thinking about it (in no particular order):
- Finish the patch on bug 563860 – Joel and I have to work out a problem that patch has with how it figures out the xre-path to use to start httpd.js
- Work out a better way for the devicemanager.py & sutagent to agree on where data gets stored – I’m thinking once I get an SDCard for the board, this will get a bit easier
- When we first made the sutAgents & the devicemanager.py we assumed we would always be able to build our path to the installed application on the device. That isn’t true with Android. So, we need to figure out a way to not make “educated guesses” as to where Fennec gets installed.
- We also can’t make any assumptions about what that executable name is: org.mozilla.fennec is the name, and it isn’t a directory. For instance there is no “org.mozilla.fennec/chrome”. So those shortcuts will have to be refactored.
- We also need to actually install fennec automatically — still working that one out (I did this one by hand).
- We need to land the Android SUTAgent in mozilla-central and build it from there (it’s been in our automation repo up to now). We have to do this because we dev sign the Fennec build and in order to have the sutAgent and Fennec be able to see each other’s data directories, then they need to have a shared ID and be signed with the same certificate. Bob and I have a patch for Fennec for this. And I’ll have a patch to add the Android agent to the tree along with a real makefile (I used a very hacked up makefile to make this work tonight).
- Fennec did launch with the correct profile, but it did not launch with the correct URL. I had to hand-type the URL. I’ll file a bug on this tomorrow.
So, that’s where we are right now. Thanks a bunch to Bob and Joel for helping us get to this point.